The Hammerdin is probably the most popular Paladin build in Diablo 2. He focuses on the skill Blessed Hammer and its synergies in order to deal massive amounts of damage. This extreme damage potential is the reason for the build’s popularity as well-equipped Hammerdins can deal about 20,000 per hammer.
Enigma Runeword is a must-have for this build because it provides the teleport ability. The Hammerdin’s play style includes teleporting close to large groups of monsters and then attacking with multiple Hammers.
Note that this is also the most expensive build to reach his maximum potential because too many players are searching for the same items.
Hammerdin Build Skills
The Hammerdin invests 20 points in his following primary skills:
- Blessed Hammer: This is the build’s main attack. At higher levels, it has the potential of dealing tremendous amounts of damage in both PvP fights and PvE.
- Vigor: You need to max out this skill only because it provides synergy to Blessed Hammer (14% magic damage per level)
- Blessed Aim: You’re not going to use this skill but the synergy (14% magic damage per level) it provides to Blessed Hammer is too strong to be ignored.
- Concentration: This will be your main Aura as it increases your damage. Also, it reduces the chance of being interrupted during an attack.
- Holy Shield: It’s a great defensive skill because it offers you a lot of sustainability. It’s a good skill for every Paladin build. However, some alternate versions of the build spend only 1 point in Holy Shield and max out Fire or Lightning resist instead.
Hammerdin Build Equipment
- Enigma Rune Word in a Dusk Shroud, Archon Plate or Mage Plate for the low strength requirement.
- Harlequin Crest Shako with Ber or Um Runes, or a Perfect Topaz.
- Arachnid Mesh
- Spiderweb Sash
- Stone of Jordan
- Bul-Kathos’ Wedding Band rings
- Rare rings with Faster Cast Rate
- Raven Frost
- Mara’s Kaleidoscope Amulet
- Amulet with Faster Cast Rate, +Paladin Skills and + All Resistances.
- Chance Guards
- Sandstorm Trek
- Scarabshell Boots
- War Traveler
- Waterwalk: +5% Max Fire Resist and additional Life
- Hellfire Torch
Setup for Maximizing damage
- A Flail with Heart of the Oak Rune Word
- Herald of Zakarum
125% faster cast rate setup
- Heart of the Oak Rune Word(it works better with a Faster Cast Rate ring).
- Spirit Rune Wordwith 35% faster cast rate, (made in an elite paladin shield with a bonus to all resistances).
- Trang-Oul’s Claws
Hammerdin Build Stats
Strength: Spend points in this attribute until you can equip your endgame gear.
Dexterity: Invest enough points to reach max block. Note that Holy Shield boosts your block chance, but it cannot exceed 75%. Thus, calculate the points you need to invest considering the Holy Shield’s bonus.
Vitality: Invest all your points left in your Life pool.
Energy: Don’t waste any points for your mana. Your late game equipment will help you overcome your mana issues.
A Hammerdin is performing very well in Magic Find runs due to his high damage output. He’s powerful for both solo and party Magic Find runs, across all difficulties of the game.
Recommended items to use for MF runs:
- Gheed’s Fortune: It provides 7% better chance of finding magic items
- War Traveler boots: It also increases the chance of finding magic items.
- Small charms: use any charm that boosts your Magic Find rate.
- Lst into Wizardspike
- Insert a Perfect Topaz into Shako
The ideal partner of a Hammerdin is an offensive Act 2 (Nightmare), hireling. Its Might Aura will increase your damage output even more. An alternative option is the defensive version of the Act 2 hireling. It allows for a more defensive setup as its Holy Freeze Aura slows your enemies.