The Assassin is a class from ‘Lord of Destruction’ expansion. The fact that the character is more effective in PvP doesn’t mean that isn’t good enough for PvM. An Assassin can easily take down groups of monsters too. There are three main categories of builds for this class:
- Trap Assassins (Trapsins or Trassassins): Assassins that focus on ‘Traps’ skill tree.
- Martial Artists (or Kicksins): Assassins that rely on skills from ‘Martial Arts’ tree.
- Hybrids: Assassins that invest in abilities from all skill trees of the class.
A common tip for Assassin builds is to include some core skills that are helpful for everyone, regardless the special route you wish to follow:
- Burst of Speed: An increase in movement and attack speed can be useful in many cases.
- Claw Mastery: It increases the Attack rating while you’re using the exclusive weapon type of the class, without investing many points in Dexterity.
- Weapon Block: it’s not useful for all Assassin builds, but mostly for those who play with dual Claws weapon. It provides a decent chance for a block.
- Tiger Strike: Even if you invest a single point here, it will help you defeat powerful enemies.
- Blade Fury: Invest a single point here too, unless you want to follow a build based on this skill, with special items to boost it. This way it can reach a high damage output.
- Shadow Warrior: A summoned ally that will cast the skills you have placed to your right and left click. You can use it for casting skills with timers or helpful skills while you’re attacking. However, it won’t deal too much damage to overcome yours, but it’s useful for defensive purposes too.
Popular Assassins Builds
- Monk: A hybrid Assassin build that relies on AoE (Area of Effect) skills and especially Phoenix Strike and Death Sentry and their synergies.
- Elementalist: An Assassin build that focuses on Elemental skills from “Martial Arts tree” such as Phoenix Strike.
- The Talon Kicksin: The most common of Kicksins build, it relies on finishing kicks like Dragon Flight and Dragon Talon.
- Vampire: This build belongs to Martial Artist Assassin and it’s built around Cobra Strike. It takes advantage of the skill’s life and mana draining capabilities.
- Dark Warrior: A build with many variations that focuses on ‘Shadow Disciplines’ skill tree. The main abilities are often Venom, Shadow Master or Shadow Warrior.
- Lightning Trapper: This build takes advantage of the skills from ‘Traps’ tree and mostly of Lightning Traps such as Lightning Sentry.
- Whirlwind Assassin or WWsin: This is a type of Assassin that is built around the bonus effects that Chaos Runeword grants.