As the name of the build indicates, the Chain Lightning Sorceress takes advantage of the Lightning spells of the class and especially of the Chain Lightning.
Like most Sorceress builds, the CL (Chain Lightning) Sorceress heavily relies upon synergies in order to enhance her spell’s damage output. In comparison with other synergizing skills like Meteor or Blizzard, Chain Lightning is not the most damaging of the Sorceress’ spells. Also, the inconsistency of the damage is often frustrating. On the other hand, Chain Lightning enjoys an importantly lower Mana cost and a faster period than the spell deals its damage.
Chain Lightning Sorceress Skills
The most common routes for CL Sorceress are two:
- Maxing out Charged Bolt, Lightning, Nova, (all of which grants Chain Lightning a +4% damage per level), Chain Lightning and Lightning Mastery. The last one grants an outstanding bonus of 278% damage (when maxed) to all Lightning spells. This path is very powerful, as it focuses on extremely damaging Lightning Spells (with Lightning and Chain Lightning as the primary attacks). Its weakness lies on enemies with immunity to Lightning (they mostly appear in Hell mode).
- To counter this weakness, some players take a little different route. They are maxing out only three or four of above spells (e.g. Chain Lightning, Lightning and Lightning Mastery) and also one spell of another element that doesn’t require many synergies, such as Fire Wall or Frozen Orb.
No matter the route you chose to follow, you should invest a point in each of the following skills: Telekinesis, Teleport, Warmth, Static Field, Frozen Armor, and Energy Shield
Chain Lightning Sorceress Stats
Regarding your stats, you will need some Strength, so you can equip the proper equipment, but nothing more than that.
Dexterity isn’t worth the investment.
Vitality needs a lot of points.
The rest of the points should be spent on Energy, especially If you desire a more powerful Energy Shield.
The most suitable items for CL Sorceress, are those which boost Lighting skills damage, like Eschuta’s Temper, or items capable of lowering the Lightning resistance of enemies.
In case you can’t afford strong gear that enhances your skills, you should aim for items which grant a Faster Cast Rate. By increasing the number of shots you cast over a period, your total damage output is increasing too.
- The Oculus
- Heart of the Oak (Ko+Vex+Pul+Thul Runeword)
- Death’s Fathom: For boosting your Cold Damage.
- Eschuta’s Temper: For boosting your Lightning and Fire Damage.
- Switch: Call to Arms (for using Barbarian’s Warcries)
- Harlequin Crest
- Nightwing’s Veil
- Crown of Ages: It requires many points to Strength though.
- Chains of Honor (Dol+Um+Ber+Ist Runeword)
- Ormus’s Robes: It increases the damage of all three elements.
- Enigma(Jah+Ith+Ber Runeword): Use it only if you need Strength points.
- Arkaine’s Valor
- Tal Rasha’s Guardianship
- Sanctuary(Ko+Ko+Mal Runeword)
- Moser’s Blessed Circle
- Gerke’s Sanctuary
- Arachnid Mesh: It’s the best option for casters
- Verdungo’s Hearty Cord
- Sandstorm Trek: It’s better to sue the Ethereal version
- War Traveler
- Stone of Jordan
- Bul-Kathos’ Wedding Band
- Raven Frost
- Dwarf Star: If you need Damage absorb
- Tal Rasha’s Adjudication
- Mara’s Kaleidoscope
Magic Finding Equipment
The items listed below will grant you a high amount of Magic Finding ability without sacrificing a lot of your killing and survival ability.
- The Oculus: With an Ist Rune
- Blade of Ali Baba: With 2 Ists Runes
- A 6-Socketed Weapon with 6 Ists Runes
- Rhyme(Shael+Eth Runeword)
- Splendor(Eth+Lum Runeword)
- A 4-socketed shield with Ists Runes
- Harlequin Crest: with a Perfect Topaz
- Tarnhelm: with a Perfect Topaz
- Any Rare Magic Find helm
- Tal Rasha’s Guardianship: 3 pieces will boost your Magic Find chance
- Skullder’s Ire: With Ist Rune or a Perfect Topaz
- Chance Guards
- Any Rare Magic Find gloves
- Tal Rasha’s Adjudication
- Any Rare Magic Find Rings
- Tal Rasha’s Fine-Spun Cloth
- War Traveler
- Any Rare Magic Finding boots
Playing as a CL Sorceress, your mercenary can prove to be one of your best tools. You have to set him up properly though.
For instance, you can equip him with an Infinity Runeword Polearm. This weapon passively runs Conviction (an aura that reduces resistances of nearby enemies, almost piercing through immunity past level 10). With this item, you should be able to destroy almost everything, even in Hell mode, if you’re dealing a few thousand damage using Chain Lightning or Lightning.