Baal’s actual name is Tor’Baalos and he is also known as the Lord Of Destruction, which indicates the name of the game’s expansion (Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction). He is one of the three Prime Evils.
The Great Conflict
The Lord of Destruction is the most reckless and impudent of the three Brothers. The early existence of Baal was similar to that of his brothers, Mephisto and Diablo. It was an endless battle against Heaven’s forces. Baal never gave up, mostly because he hadn’t exhausted all the possibilities for excessive destruction.
After the events of the Dark Exile, the Horadrim managed to contain his essence inside a soulstone and they placed it in the Tal Rasha’s Tomb. Some centuries later, Diablo managed to free Baal. Then, the Lord of Destruction corrupted the Wolrdstone and the Barbarians that lived close to Mount Arreat suffered some devastating effects. However, a team of brave heroes defeated Baal and prevented his plans.
The Lord of Destruction’s essence ended up inside the Black Soulstone, due to Adria’s machinations. Her intention was to merge Baal into Diablo to form a single Prime Evil. In contrast to her plan, a new hero defeated and the Prime Evils were captured back into the Black Soulstone. Later, Malthael destroyed the artifact in an attempt to defeat Tyrael, but this wasn’t enough. The Lord of Terror was freed though, containing the essences of all other Evils.
Baal is the 5th Act’s final boss and you can encounter him at the end of the Throne of Destruction level. There, you can find a portal that leads to the Worldstone Chamber.
When you defeat him in Normal difficulty, you will unlock the Nightmare mode. Defeating him in the Nightmare difficulty will grant you access to the Hell difficulty. Also, you have to kill Baal in order to unlock the Secret Cow level.
Before the final battle, Baal summons groups of minions from each Act that you have to kill first. Once you slay all the five groups, the Lord of Destruction will go inside the Worldstone Chamber, where the final encounter will take place.
Baal is the toughest Boss in the game and he has a wide variety of deadly abilities in his arsenal:
- Defense Curse: It greatly reduces the defense of your character and your party
- Blood Mana: The Boss uses this attack only at characters that have more mana points than health points. It causes the players to lose health equal to the mana cost of each spell they cast.
- Hoarfrost: This attack sends a chilling wave that slows down and knocks back the characters. It can deal damage many times if it knocks back your character a few times.
- Incineration Nova: This spell is similar to the Flame Circle attack of Diablo. It launches a ring of torches to every direction.
- Mana Rift: This attack looks like a yellow flamethrower. It deals damage and also it drains the 50% percent of your current mana points. You can see this ability in the cinematic as well.
- Destructive Strike
- Teleport: Maybe Baal doesn’t run fast, but he has the ability to teleport.
- Vile Effigy: Baal summons a copy of himself, which can use all of true Baal’s attacks. However, only one Baal can be active at a time and the duplicate can’t summon another copy of Baal. The duplicate isn’t as powerful as the original Baal and it doesn’t drop any items if you kill it. You can identify the real Baal and his copy by looking at their names. The original Baal has the tag “Demon” in the center below his name, as with the majority of the monsters. In contrast, the duplicate has the tag “Demon” right below the letter B in his name, so the letter “B” (Baal) and the letter “D” (Demon) are aligned perfectly.
- Festering Appendages: Baal summons tentacles out of the ground that can attack your characters. They can be quite useful though as you can attack them for leech mana and health. They are much easier to hit than the Boss and they have plenty health points.
Strategy – How to defeat Baal
The Lord of Destruction is the hardest Boss in the game, so gather a lot of healing and mana potions and prepare to return many times to the Town for a refill.
He uses a combination of cold, fire and some lightning attacks. Therefore, you should have a high amount of resistances, especially fire resistance. Damage reduction effects can be very helpful as well.
The most effective strategy for defeating Baal is probably the use of cold spells and weapons. The fight can be a lot easier if you keep slowing the Boss. For this reason, you can hire a mercenary like the Act 3 Cold hireling that utilizes cold attacks such as the Freezing Arrow.
In the case you are playing with a melee class, another helpful trick is to attack the tentacles of Baal (when he summons them) in order to leech a lot of health points.
If it seems impossible to slay Baal or if he keeps killing you with a single attack, you should consider gaining some more levels. Maybe you have to upgrade your equipment as well, especially your armor and your resistances.